The mission of E-Stor tribe is to carry out high-quality research in the field of energy to significantly contribute to Moroccan and African energy transition from fossil fuels to renewable and clean energy solutions. The main objective of the research team is to advance the science and engineering of novel materials, concepts and methods of renewable power technologies and energy storage systems for the benefit of local, Moroccan and African societies and companies.
The group’s research topics seek sustainable energy solutions through a range of approaches covering energy production and storage. The activities of the E-Stor research tribe are:
- Electrochemical energy storage
- Chemical energy storage
- Thermal energy storage
- Production of green hydrogen
- Production of electricity from renewable resources
The group is also concerned with emerging sustainable energy technologies, energy efficiency of industrial processes and the economic and environmental impact of energy technologies.
Through its multidisciplinary research team, the E-Stor tribe works towards understanding the fundamental properties of materials, develop new and enhanced materials systems based on Moroccan and African products. The tribe has at his disposal cutting edge indoor and outdoor experimental facilities and collaborates closely with Moroccan, African and international industries, research centers and universities
Our raison d’etre
- Become an energy knowledge tribe for the scientific, academic and industrial communities.
- Conduct high-quality research on sustainable energy technologies with strong interaction with relevant stakeholders and affected industries.
- Be an international reference research team in the valorisation of phosphorus-based products and the phosphate mine byproducts for innovative energy solutions
- Transfer know-how related to sustainable energy technologies to academics and industrials interested in making the energy transition a reality
The MSN Department has recently implemented a panel of equipment that encompasses all the aspects of its activities in the field of material science and energy storage and conversion:
- Two Gloveboxs : Dry glove box with autonomous purification unit 1 ppm O2 and H2O. The glove boxes are designed for the handling of products which are sensitive to atmospheric components (O2 and H2O, etc. in an environment under Argon gaz.
- Compact FTIR : spectrometer Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy installed inside the glove box under adjusted conditions, used to ex situ study and identity the organic and inorganic elements of electrodes, electrolyte, binder, and so on
- In situ and in operando X ray diffraction characterization for rechargeable batteries
- In situ and in operando Raman spectroscopy characterization for rechargeable batteries
- Multichannel Battery test facilities for up to 144 channels The MPG-200 series by Biologic is a high end battery tester series It features 16 independent channels at 100 mA and has electrochemical impedance spectroscopy capabilities The battery cyclers BCS 805 offers a total of 96 channels with a maximum current of ±150 mA per channel which make it highly suited for small batteries such as coin cells It features general electrochemistry techniques such as Cyclic voltammetry ( Galvanostatic Cycling with Potential Limitation ( Galvanostatic Intermittent Titration Technique (rate capability, and so on)
- Tube furnace for high-temperature syntheses: the tube furnace is used for annealing samples under controlled atmosphere for high temperature syntheses up to 1800 °C The high-grade insulation materials guarantee low energy consumption and high heating rates due to their low thermal conductivity
- Redox flow battery test system (C Flow LAB) C Flow LAB Cell is an electrochemical cell which uses two different solvents systems, each system has a different active chemical component dissolved into the solvent ( C Flow LAB Cell operate by pumping the electrolyte solutions (known as the catholyte and the anolyte) through a core region containing the cathode and the anode The two are separated by a selective ion membrane It is the ion exchange generated between the two electrodes in this region that creates an electrical potential and generates electricity Similar to Li ion batteries, flow batteries can be stacked in series to increase the voltage and meet the requirements for certain applications
- Water desalination CDI cell ( Capacitive deionization ( is a water purification technology that uses electrodes to remove the charged ion species from aqueous solutions The CDI is so energy efficient, it can replace many of the water desalination technologies, particularly when used for low molar concentration streams such as brackish water, ground water, and surface water The technology is based on ion electrosorption at the surface of a pair of electrically charged electrodes composed of highly porous carbon materials
- Compact Tape Casting Coater A compact tape casting coater, adjustable film applicator
- Vacuum sealing machine A vacuum sealing machine for Lithium ion battery, to seal pouch cells under vacuum
- De crimping coin cell machine Machine used to disassemble coin cell batteries for ex situ measurements.
The E-Stor tribe provides a deep understanding and characterisation of the structural, chemical, physical, mechanical properties of a wide class of materials including, organics, inorganic and metallic used in the field of energy.
E-Stor contributes strongly to the MSN department education programs. The following courses are given by the tribe:Renewable energies.
- Concentrated Solar Power – CSP.
- Electrochemical Energy Storage.
- Thermal Energy Storage.
- Hydrogen Production, Storage and Fuel Cells
- A multidisciplinary team that conducts its work based on the principles of co-creation, collaboration and complementarity.
- A good communication between team members with a good practice of empathy and respect of diversity in the workplace.
- Good creativity inspired by the individual contribution of each member of the team in the same subject to create the collective big picture.
- Establishment, development and strength of relationships with internal and external partners for mutual benefits.